Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Curses!

(formerly titled "Damn You, Carl Zimmer!" until I realized that there are still people out there who are shocked by the "D-word"). The other day, I was gloating to my friend Carl that spending a week up a Welsh mountain at the height of the magic monkey fest had meant that I had been able to avoid any temptation to blog on the world's most famous notharctid. However, I had vaguely been thinking of using it as a hook to talk about the strange obsession that the media and general public have regarding the existence of "links" - missing or othewise - in the fossil record. I sat down to write it today when, lo and behold, I discover that Carl has covered the whole issue of links in an excellent post on Limusaurus (which I can say with complete certainty is a much more interesting fossil than Ida). Robbed of my opportunity to talk about weighty scientific issues, I ended up having to write yet another blog about Primeval. Bother.

In any case, I urge you to go and read Carl's post, which covers the whole issue much better than I could and also contains fascinating pictures of Carl attempting to demonstrate the process by which bird wings evolved by using variants of the Vulcan salute from Star Trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment