Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Looking Forward

Much to my surprise, its almost a year since Prerogative of Harlots started. Not that I wish to toot my own horn, but given the notorious ephemerality of blogs (apparently 60-80% of blogs never make it past the first month) this is quite something. I put it down to the liberating effect of changing jobs and the creativity of working in a university environment again; others might say that it is evidence that I don't have enough to do.

Anyway, it being the end of a year, not to mention a decade, it might seem like a good time for one of those interminable "looking back" pieces that infest the media during the last half of December. But fear not, reader, because I frankly can't be bothered to write one. Instead, I humbly offer some predictions for 2010.

Someone will dig up a fossil and claim that it revolutinizes our understanding of life on earth. It will get its own Discovery/History/Lifetime special. A month later someone else will shoot this idea down. A museum will dispose of collections under ethically questionable circumstances. A dinosaur will be auctioned. There will be job cuts in the museum sector. Museum consultants will write papers suggesting that collections are of limited importance to museums. People will steal fossils and sell them on Ebay. Someone will publish on these fossils. The Large Hadron Collider will break down. A district school board will attempt to weaken the teaching of evolution in public schools. The VP listserver will spend at least 50% of its time expressing collective outrage. About everything.

In other words, I predict that 2010 will be much like 2009. I look forward to being proved wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the first year - I really enjoy reading your posts so I'm glad you got past that dangerous first month. As for 2010? I almost hope that you're right and that it will be the same as 2009 rather than being any more interesting, as the apocryphal proverb goes. :)

    ReplyDelete