Saturday, July 12, 2014

Did You Miss Me?

I guess the answer to this question is "no," since in the two years I haven't been posting regularly only two of my regular readers asked me when I was going to write again (thank you, Beth Merritt and Carl Zimmer). Not that I care. Like most bloggers, I suspect, I write for myself, to rehearse arguments and develop ideas that I use elsewhere. If the rest of you enjoy it, so much the better. But it's an essentially selfish pursuit.

Why did I stop? Well, I'd like to tell you that it was because something both unlikely and exciting happened - like being kidnapped by pirates, or getting into an obsessive, physically and emotionally damaging relationship with a self-destructive partner (where did that come from?) - but in fact, my two years of (almost) silence corresponds with my presidency of SPNHC. I'd like to say that it was because I was too busy, but that's not really why I shut up.

I started blogging not long after leaving my previous employer, the American Museum of Natural History. AMNH is one of the world's great museums, but it is also a highly controlled and controlling institution that frowns on its staff expressing opinions that might differ from the Museum's official position. As part of my employment, I had to sign a document that said that I could never disclose anything I did there without the Museum's permission, even after I left.

The issue of blogging came up when we were discussing the Museum's nascent digital strategy with some consultants hired to develop an institutional "vision." As my ex-boss said at the time, "staff blogs are not something that the Museum would want to encourage or support." When I called him on this, he made the point that curators are protected by tenure (unless they're not), which means they are safe in expressing their opinions. Staff are not. Or, as he put it, "you could get fired."

Of course, things have moved on since then and most organizations have embraced blogs and blogging, including AMNH and SPNHC. They allow the institution to speak with a different voice, and can provide a window into day-to-day activities that is more flexible and adaptable than the traditional outlets of publications, press releases, and exhibits. But one shouldn't confuse this with increased openness. If you want to find out what staff at the Field Museum think about cutting tenured curators, don't bother asking Erica.

From a corporate perspective, this is quite understandable. Ask fifty people their opinion on something and you'll likely get fifty answers. To some extent museums have embraced the concept of instutional diversity more than other corporations, because diversity is something that concerns museums, but there are limits. A museum can speak with different voices, but those voices are not allowed to disagree with each other.

During my time as SPNHC President, I embraced this idea. I was representing an organization of 600 members - including individuals, institutions, and corporations - and there was no way my personal opinion was going to match with theirs. If I blogged then, inevitably, people would assume I was speaking for the Society and, large though my ego is, I didn't feel comfortable taking on that role. So, with a couple of exceptions that weren't to do with museums or collections, I chose to shut up.

The key phrase there is "I chose." All to often, where our work is concerned, we don't get to choose. I think that's a pity. We're facing some significant challenges in museums today, and I'm not sure that effective solutions will emerge if we stifle honest and open debate in favor of presenting a unified front to the world. Are we really so fragile that we can't tolerate anything that departs from bland consensus?

So in the second coming of PoH, I'm looking forward to being a lot more opinionated. When my employer insults my intelligence by repackaging unpaid leave as a "non-academic sabbatical" or responds to staff concerns over lack of career mobility with a "personal development plan" that doesn't actually do anything to develop their career, then I'm going to call them on it. And when our community - and that includes some of you - drones on about the importance of collections without seriously questioning why we should be spending scarce public funds on them at the expense of things that directy benefit the genuinely needy in society, then I'm call them on that too.

Oh yes, my very small legionette of fans. I am back.

No comments:

Post a Comment